31st August, 2021
State Security Council,
CLARION CALL FOR REPLACEMENT OF OPERATION SAFE HAVEN (OPSH) WITH MOBILE POLICE FORCE IN VILLAGES AND COMMUNITIES OF RIYOM DISTRICT, RIYOM LGA
Despite the deployment of security operatives under Sector 6 of the Operation Safe Haven in Riyom LGA, so many lives continue to be lost under very suspicious and painful circumstances. In 2018 for instance, Tanjol and Tarai hamlets of Jol Community of Riyom LGA were overran, 12 people massacred, 13 others injured and over 25 houses in addition to a worship centre razed down by suspected Fulani militia in which some security operatives of Operation Safe Haven were alleged to have fully participated in the onslaught (see petitions to this effect written by the Emancipation Centre for Crisis Victims in Nigeria-ECCVN dated 26/10/2018 and Jol Community Development Association-JOCDAC dated 22/10/2018 and 2/2/2019 respectively). In the same manner, the killing of 3 youths out of 17 arrested alive in Kwi Community of Riyom LGA readily comes to mind (see Complaint Letter by the Kwi Community Development Association dated 26/4/2019
Again, this petition is impelled by another case of callous murder suspected to have been carried out by security operatives of Sector 6 of Operation Safe Haven stationed at Ra-Hoss Community where Mr. Titus John and Iliya Dalyop of Kum village of Riyom LGA were brutally killed during an armed invasion of Kum that took place on the 14th day of July, 2021.
Following the above unacceptable incidences, we the Berom Women Development Association-BEWDA Riyom District will continue to protest the killing of innocent people within our communities and villages by those who have the responsibility of protecting them in the first place. BEWDA hereby DEMANDS and shall continue to demand justice for their lives, families and dependants.
In addition, we have lost faith in the impartiality and professionalism of security agents especially, Operation Safe Haven. Therefore, we call on the authorities concerned to immediately replace the said Operation Safe Haven operatives preferably with a Mobile Police Force who we expect to be impartial, transparent and professional in the discharge of their duty in and around Riyom LGA.
In conclusion, BEWDA Riyom District passionately looks forward to your prompt response on this matter of urgency as this will help to deescalate the rising tension and insecurity being experienced in the general area. Finally, we want to assure all that BEWDA stands for justice, peace and harmonious coexistence in Riyom and indeed, Nigeria at large.
Sign. ……………………………… Sign. ………………………………
For your information and necessary action, please.
- The Commander of Operation Safe Haven-OPSH, Plateau State Headquarters, Jos.
- The Commissioner of Police, Plateau State Command, Jos.
- His Majesty the Gbong Gwom Jos, Chairman Traditional Council of Chiefs and Emirs, Plateau State.
- The Coordinator, Operation Rainbow Headquarters, Plateau State.
- The Distinguished Senator representing Plateau North, National Assembly, FCT Abuja.
- The Hon. Member representing Riyom/Barkin Ladi, National Assembly, FCT Abuja.
- The Hon. Member representing Riyom, Plateau State House of Assembly.
- The Chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Riyom LGA.
- The Transition Committee Chairman of Riyom LGA
- HRH, the District Head of Riyom, Riyom LGA.
- The National President of Berom Women’s Development Association (BEWDA)
- The Sector 6 Commander of Operation Safe Haven, Riyom LGA.
- The Divisional Police Officer, Riyom LGA.
- The Officer in Charge of State Security Services, Riyom LGA.
- The Officer in Charge of Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corp, Riyom LGA.