The attention of the Berom Youth Moulders-Association, BYM has been drawn to the unlawful arrest and illegal detention of the Acting Gwom Wereng, the Community Ward Head of Kuru Station and also that of Sham all in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau state by the Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven on the 14th day of May, 2022.
The Sector Commander of STF Sector 6, Col. Hassan Gwani, in his usual bias disposition, arrested the traditional rulers over alleged stealing and killing of unspecified number of cows on Tuesday by unknown persons around farmlands not within the territorial area of Wereng community.
As an Association, we condemn any form of criminality by any person or group of persons irrespective of their ethnic or religious divide.
The unceremonious arrest was preceded by an invitation for investigation which they honoured and promised not only to aid the security in ascertaining the truth of the alleged crime, but also whether or not the perpetrators are from within.
Instead of appreciating the steps taken by the traditional rulers’ report based on their findings, to Sector 6 Commander and his Administrative Officer, in their usual uncivil and bias dispositions, faulted the report, arrested and whisked the community leaders namely,
- Da Davou Ndoh(ag) Gwom Wereng Community, 55yrs.
- Mr Sunday Stephen, Ward Head of Kuru Station in Wereng Community, 35yrs who was surgically operated upon in the recent time.
- Mr Ishaya Musa, Ward Head of Sham in Wereng, 38 years to the Headquarters of OPSH in Jos simply because the Fulani are said to have claimed that the unidentified thieves surfaced from the direction of Kuru Station and perpetrated the act in the interior bush outside the territorial jurisdiction of Wereng with no trace of identity of the criminals.
It should be noted that the BYM under the leadership of Solomon Dalyop Mwantiri, Esq. does not only condemn any act of criminality of whatever kind including Cattle theft, but also vehemently decry the shameless selective justice being fronted by the OPSH under Col. Hassan Gwani and his Administrative Officer in Riyom Local Government Area.
Dishearteningly, it’s worthy of mention that the apparent temperament of the OPSH has always been lopsided whenever terror attacks or farmed crops destruction are meted out against the ethnic nationality by Fulani, but such dereliction is not exhibited whenever Fulani report any act of criminality.
As a people, we will support any form of investigation to unravel the criminals. However, the intimidation, arrest by proxy over unidentified criminals and continued detention of the community leaders by the OPSH is a flagrant abuse and violation of the Fundamental rights of the detainees who have been forced to accept the alleged crime as unacceptable.
The Berom Youths are similarly calling on appropriate authorities to, as a matter of urgency, call to order the Ardo Mamud Adams of Rankum village (renamed as “Mahanga”) should any armed invasion is meted out against Wereng and any neighboring community. This call is based on utterances attributed to him at the Sector 6 Command yesterday, 14th May, 2022.
Going by the foregoing, the BYM hereby demands for
- immediately release of the detainees as they will aid the security in their investigation into the said crime.
-Demand for compensation in a tune of #3,000,000 to each of the victims of the OPSH intimidation, illegal arrest and continued unlawful detention of the Wereng traditional rulers.
- Demand for unreserved apology publish on 2 national dailies.
- Immediate removal of Col. Hassan Gwani and Murtala (Administrative Officer) from Sector 6 of OPSH) and also investigation into the biasness, intimidation, callous arrest, and continued detention and deprivation of right to freedom of expression posed to the detainees and other community members during the two sittings held at the Sector Headquarters.
- Investigate the said utterances of Ardo Mamud Adams
Failure to comply with the aforementioned demands will attract exploration of available avenues including legal action to seek redress over the unprofessional conduct of the duo.
BYM National Publicity Secretary