Another black day has been witnessed in Plateau State as suspected Fulani herdsmen are said to have invaded K-Vom community of Vwang District, Jos South LGA of Plateau State at about 9:00pm of 24th September, 2020. As a result, 5 persons, namely,
- Mr. Goyit Paul,
- Mr. Timothy David
- Mr. Pam Chukwak
- Mr. Audu Tahiru
- Mr. Emmanuel Isaiah, a student with NVRI Vom, were confirmed dead while Mr. Dalyop Gyang survived with fatal injuries sustained.
The attackers, according to the survivor, are said to have abruptly surfaced from nearby hills shooting at anyone within their sight. He told journalist that, “I saw two of the attackers dressed in green,
but could only recognize one as a herder” he said.
The gory incident was greeted with protest staged by hundreds of residents mourning the untimely dead of the 5 promising youth as pandemonium continued taking the central point at the Divisional Police Headquarters, where agitations surmounted by residents geared at challenging the conduct of the DPO. However, the tidal situation became calm after the corpses were evacuated to mortuary by personnel of Nigerian Police Force.
The tragic development followed by the reactions of the residents calls for,
- Investigation into the conduct of the DPO prior to the incident;
- Reorientation in Police Civil relationship for better collaboration to combat crimes in and around the area.
- Take note of early warning signals and intelligence gathering of information to Intensify vigilance against invasion;
- There should be ban on drinking joints and taverns as from 6:00pm to enable vigilante group and everyone have a serene environment for safety of all unsuspecting residents; and any other steps necessary in the circumstances of this perilous times.
Dalyop Solomon Mwantiri, Esq.
Emancipation Centre for Crisis Victims in Nigeria-ECCVN